I was really curious about Kim's comment about technology in the classroom and more specifically texting in the classroom so I decided to do a bit of research into this idea. What I found was quite interesting. A lot of sites talked about the basic "using it to communicate with parents" or "reminding students about assignments" but there were two in particular that really made me think about the use of cellphones and texting in the class. The first site (www.pbs.org/teachers/learning.now/2006/10/do_students_need_to_learn_text.html) talked about a school in Australia that is actually teaching its students SMS text messaging as part of their language arts curriculum!! Their reasoning is that they use it to compare things like language syntax with that of formal, written English. One professor explains it by saying, "English has literary languages of different kinds, it’s got technical languages, it’s got professional jargon, it’s got sub-cultural languages, it’s got dialects, the kind of language that’s used in chatrooms. Kids today are exposed to a much bigger range of languages than we were in the pre-digital era. Thinking about SMS is actually a way of thinking about English, standard English and about the way it works, the way it’s different from these other languages that students are very familiar with."
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Texting in the Classroom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Wow! This is a really interesting post Ashleigh. It’s interesting how technology adapts and becomes incorporated into people’s lives. When I was first reading this post it made me think of when MSN first came out and how everyone was addicted to this form of communication. The funny thing is it really helped to improve typing capabilities. My brother was terrible at typing, but from using MSN his WPM became very high. This goes to show the benefits of such forms of technology, but I guess only when used in the right context.
I don’t think I would use texting as a form of communication with my students. Would you give them your cell number? Would that cross the line ethically? Perhaps that is what will happen in the future??? I could see the benefits of doing this in terms of your students being less likely to forget to complete and hand in assignments. I appreciate text reminders from people, so I am sure students would appreciate it too. Is that our job though - to go as far as sending them texts to communicate?
It is interesting when you said that teachers were afraid of the short hand finding its way into the written work. I remember full lessons on how to shorten words for note taking. Now students don't need this help. Also, we were able to tell the difference between what was ok in notes and what was expected in papers. Expectations need to be set so the students know that they must be able to write in formal english. That is actually a criteria I put on the board. I have only had a few students who put shortened forms of things in once and never again. Amazing what circling something in red pen can do!
What is kind of interesting is sending a text from your e-mail account for reminders to students. I agree with Anna that it may be crossing the line to hand out your personal cell phone number. However, sending an e text could be a good way to help students out.
I broke the school rules in one of my lessons and let students use their cell phones. I had them look up information for a question I had and discuss in groups. They sent each other links through a text of good websites to look at. Not only were students learning and working on what they were supposed to be doing, but they were creating larger collaborative groups then I had initially thought. Why not let them use this technology? I did have to set guidelines about when it was ok and not ok to have the phone out, but it worked well in this group. Just don't tell the Principal!
I agree with Anna and Katie that using text messages to contract your students is over the line. I think it's a better idea to remind students and parents of homework through email. It's not as personal, but they still get the information they need. And in this case the parents will know what their children should be doing for homework.
I do like the idea of using some of this new technology in the classroom. During one of my lessons a boy asked if he could use his ipod to search the dictionary, on there, for the definitions, instead of using a regular dictionary. I let him, because I saw no reason why he shouldn't, and there's no school restriction against it. It's actually a more time efficent way, and the student can see the various definitions that can be found for one word, which you don't usually get in a school dictionary.
I'm not sure how I feel about text messages in the classroom. Texts, and the internet on phones, cost money, so should we really be getting students to do that within the classroom?
Personally I feel that it is enough of a struggle to get students to take down notes into their books at my placement. If they are going to be using shorthand learned from texting I am for it as long as they are getting down the information. My only worry is that in time this may be the only written language that is being produced if we don't encourage students to use the proper english language in their formal writing.
In the math classroom I am in this year for practicum, many students use their cell phones as calculators. There is a class set of calculators that students can sign out but they prefer to use their phones so that they are able to text during class. I realize the focus of this discussion was on how the text slang was making its way into written work in the classroom but how do you feel about students texting during class?
The students have found ways to get around the buzzing noise of vibrate by using a high pitched sound that only young people are able to hear. Unfortunately I can still hear this noise and it is very distracting during class! When you create classroom rules will you allow phones at your students' desks?
I would not use texting as a way of communication between me and my students unless the school gave me a phone and a new phone number for every semester. E-mail is much easier to do.
I think it would be neat to do some sort of text messaging activity in class with only the students in the class and them text messaging one another not me.
Students and a lot of adults spent a lot of time text messaging outside of school or work so I do not think that it is necessary for students to have the time in class to hone their text messaging skill. They do it all the time. Class time should be spent more on developing language thinking skills that could be used anywhere. Text messaging in the class could be used to hook interest in a lesson or two.
I went to a workshop at my practicum school which talked about the use of technology in the classroom. One particular teacher at the school uses a TON of technology in his class as a medium to get students to communicate and using cell phones is one of his ways that he allows students to post responses to questions posed in class. The entire Human Geography class is done almost entirely online and I was talking to one of the grade 12s after class and he said that he absolutely loves being able to use his cell phone to do his homework, check assignments, and do coursework.
I think we are living in a day and age where it is going to become a necessity in order to stay inline with our students needs, capabilities and passions.
Technology is a passion for a lot of kids and if it gives them another medium in order for them to communicate in a more comfortable way, then we should provide them with that opportunity in an educationally sound way
I agree with all of the above comments and also think that with the way technology is used by students today and the language that comes out of it we need to teach ways this language can be transfered to learning and ways inwhich not. By this i mean, sure its fine if our students use their short hand in notes or personal journaling etc...however for written assignments that are handed in this language is not appropriate and their writing needs to be formal. Their 'technology language' would not be appropriate at a job, so why would it be at school?
I find the whole idea of texting fascinating and I can certainly agree with the positive uses stated above. I would have difficult with using this new technology but do see it's uses. I have observed students using their Iphone to take notes that they wanted to work on at home and at school or accessing their email account to download their assignments to any computer. I have also overheard a conversation between "Billy" and "Johnny" at the back of the room after "Suzy"(at the front of the class) texted them to say she was high after taking something at lunch and was having lots of fun in class!
I think that I would be willing to use this technology in class but it would be a school phone and number to maintain a professional relaitonship and ensure my privacy.
Post a Comment