Sunday, February 21, 2010

Write-A-Loud

The write-aloud article really engaged my thinking into the fact that educators do not model HOW to write. We always show students the end product of the written form. I have written poems collaboratively in class, but I have never modelled how I write. I began to think about all the activites we demonstrate to students. Ex. How to shoot a basketball, how to draw a picture,even how to handwrite letters. Doesn't it make sense to demonstrate HOW to write?? The most challenging part of writing is the pre-writing phase. How do I decide what I want to write? From here, how do I brainstorm about what I write? Then, how do I actually write? In my next lesson I would like to give the students a break from their own writing and focus on how I think and engage during the writing process. I want them to be observers of my process, but to also think about their own process. I am concerned about how to engage the students in the lesson. I was thinking of : 1) Students copy my process and actions. 2) During moments that I am thinking or stumped, students can answer questions that engage their thinking. For example, How do you brainstorm? What did you notice about my brainstorming? 3) Have students pair/share and discuss each stage of the process. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make this lesson engaging for students?? Can anyone think of potential issues?? What are your thoughts about modelling your writing process to students?

2 comments:

Anna said...

You have made some good points Lauren! I think it is sometimes a daunting job to engage students in writing, because for the most part we are pretty much telling them what they must write about! Firstly, by providing students with more opportunities of topics they may write about, we may see more engagement from them. By doing activities such as brainstorming or even 4-quadrant notes, students can choose one idea that is related to the given topic that interests them the most. It’s hard to get your mind turning around a topic that has no relation or no interest to YOU!

I like your idea of having students model you; however, you will have to consider those students who perform differently, so for them, modelling your process may not be engaging. Then again, I am sure most, if not everyone will be pleased to be trying something different from the typical – “here is your topic, now write.”

I am interested to see how your lesson turns out if you decide to model your writing process to the class! Good luck!!! ;-)

kim said...

I lived in France for a year and a half with little experience speaking the language. When I first arrived the family I was living with spoke English for 2 weeks until they said they would only speak French from then on. I was so lost at first. I felt alone and exhausted at the end of each day. During the presentation on supporting ESL students I knew exactly the feeling of needing extra time to translate a language in your head then back again.Fortunately after being immersed in the language for 3 months I began to dream and think in French. Strangely enough I began to struggle with speaking to friends back home and there were times I spoke French totally unaware.