Friday, February 19, 2010

Needing Feedback - First Nations Literacy across the curriculum

Raven Tales video game
 
When I asked for feedback last December about what you would like to see addressed in this course I had a couple of groups mention First Nations literacy. I have spoken with Lillian Morton about coming in to speak to this topic. What we would like to know is more specifically what you would like to know about; she has confirmed that the multiple literacy strategies and importance on finding what interests the students are all appropriate approaches for First Nations learners. I'm thinking that knowing more about First Nations literature to incorporate across the content areas would be beneficial to hearing about. 
BUT this needs to be for you - 
could you let me know under comments what would be beneficial to you? 
Feel free to write questions or suggestions of topics ~ Thanks!

8 comments:

Miss Jess said...

I think it would be valuable to know where to find resources to use in the classroom. For example, titles and authors.

Perhaps even contact information for guest speakers (for the Island...as many of us are teaching outside of the Nanaimo-Ladysmith School district).

I'm on reading break mode...so that's all I can come up with for now!

Brock said...

I would like to know about which First Nations resources can serve as supplementary texts to non-First Nations content in any of the subject areas (what supplementary texts have other teachers used in the classroom, and for what concept/text and subject?).

I would also like to know what are the most common themes that emerge from the First Nations texts that teachers have used (and specifically how these themes have been integrated into the curriculum content).

This is only semi-related: in my first practicum 2 years ago, I read the children's book "My Very Last First Time" to the grade 6/7 class. It is a touching First Nations story, with beautiful artwork and is very relevant to this age-group because it deals with becoming independent and going out into a scary world alone for the first time. I told the students about the first time I drove a car by myself; how it was scary but also exciting at the same time. Then, I had the students draw or write about their first time experiences. They were so engaged and had some amazing stories to share, and it was one of my most memorable teaching experiences thus far.

Samantha said...

I agree with the comments above. I would really like to know about guest speakers, resources, literature, videos, games to use in the class. I would like to learn about strategies to use with First Nations and Non-First Nations students to help them appreciate the different cultures. Maybe a bit of information about what to expect on different areas of Vancouver Island would be valuable because each group is so unique. That being said, anything Lillian has or wants to share would be wonderful!

ashbe said...

I would also like some names of guest speakers/story tellers that could come in and share stories with my future students. I would like to be exposed to some books that would pertain to all students, not only First Nation students as well. This I believe would be beneficial to a positive classroom community.

Anonymous said...

I had heard somewhere that after a survey done from aboriginal families the consensus was that they send their children to public schools to learn and get ahead in society and that they would like their traditions to be left to them to teach.

I want to know the line in which First Nations are comfortable with their stories being taught in the classroom and when it is better to bring in aboriginal guests.

Katie said...

I just sat in on a presentation about the new FN English Program. They are letting anyone photocopy the IRP for the course and the 'how to teach this course package'. It was a neat presentation and if anyone wants to look at the resources or photocopy them let me know and i can bring it in. They really were encouraging photocopying!
The presentation I saw was really clear about what could and could not be taught - like Holly said. It also gave resources for who to contact to teach the areas that we are not aloud to tell. Only those who are in a family have permission to tell the family story - or maybe there are more PC terms. It might be an interesting presentation as there are hopes that this course becomes part of every school. In addition, almost all of the teachers teaching this course right now are white, so it is something we could all be a part of in the future.
Sam - one of the novels that is supposed to be read in the course is "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian" which I believe you read in the Childrens lit course. A bit scary for me to think of teaching that right now...

Miss Jess said...

Katie...can you bring it in for me to see at some point in the next few weeks?

Smelly Kelly said...

I too agree with the comments above. I would like to know some useful resources for all grades if possible (as you never know what grade you will be teaching).

It would also be beneficial to know if there are any support staff on the island to aid in developing a unit or guest speakers.

Finally, I would find it extremely helpful if we were to go over correct terminology. Over the course of the program we have heard numerous terminologies that have not been consistent in all courses.