Monday, March 15, 2010

The Technology Gap

I read the article, "Leading double lives: Literacy and technology in and out of school " by Bronwyn T. Williams. The article discusses the gap between teachers and students in regards to technology. In my practicum I have experienced times when I have required the expertise of a student in order to navigate through several computer programs. This experience has made me realize how technology is an integral part of the majority of our students lives. How do you feel about the gap between ourselves and our students growing up in a technological world? How can we as educators integrate texting, blogging, and e-mailing into the classroom?

5 comments:

crashleigh said...

This is an interesting point. Although I do agree with the gap between some older teachers and the students I am not convinced that this gap is as evident between say us and our students because many of us grew up surrounded by computers. Granted some students, like my little brothers have literally grown up on computers (I remember my little brother being on a computer as early as 3 or 4!!) and therefore they are more comfortable with technology. I do not know how sophisticated students' knowledge of the use of technology really is though. For example my gr 8 students struggle to even be able to format a word document correctly. Although they spend a lot of time on computers and navigate around them fast I think it creates a bit of blur and assumption that they know what they are doing when really they are just clicking a lot of buttons. I think what the big difference sometimes between teachers and students is that students are a lot more comfortable with technology because it has been such a big part of their lives. How can we as teachers integrate it into our classrooms? I think Leanna has done a great job showing us some ways such as blogs and wikis. The big thing is for us teachers to step outside our comfort zones and become less fearful of integrating technology.

Anonymous said...

I really like this post for many reasons; first, we need to bring technology into our classrooms and especially in high school. Secondly, I had computer problems this weekend and it made it so clear on how dependent I am on my computer. And, how frustrating it can be when the darn thing is not working properly (meaning my computer). Anyway, back to the question does it bother me that there is such a gap between students and teachers concerning technology? Personally, if I am having a problem with my computer and I ask a student for assistance I think this is great. This shows the student that I am human and I do not have all the answers. Plus, this has to make the student feel good knowing that they are helping the teacher (building student’s self-esteem).
This is where I feel uncomfortable with the whole idea of creating a blogging site for my future students to communicate through. This has a lot to do with my own personal preference on communicating; I like to do it in person (face to face). I think communicating through computers is only good for transferring information, but it does not build any emotional connections. In the past, I have noted in my own communications through the computer on how the other person can miss interpret what I was saying. In this area I willing to admit, that I am a little old fashion, and I prefer face to face communication. Tell you the truth, I dislike having to write this blog. But, I do know that I do have to change, because this is the new way to communicate. And, I need to get on board so I can create the best medium for my future students (it’s not about me).

KS said...

I do agree with you Martin. Face to face is always the best way to communicate. However, with students connected to facebook and other social networking sites 24/7with laptops and computers they are becoming very good at communicating from behind a screen. This online opportunity has led to cyber bullying which can be very harmful to students. There was a young boy from my old high school who recently committed suicide because of online bullying. Because of this a class blog does worry me. As the teacher you would be responsible for everything that was said on the blog and what if something inappropriate was posted and a number of students viewed it before you removed it? As a new teacher these things would worry me.
Since technology is a part of our students' every day lives I feel that as educators we should try and use as much technology in our classrooms as possible. Submitting assignments online? Having a class website so that students who were sick are able to get their missed assignments instantly. We have all become to dependant on getting things in an "instant" that this is going to be the best way to not frustrate our students.
Technology is a part of our everyday lives and I would like to use it in my classroom as often as possible.

Peter Wong said...

The situation you describe Kim is a new, modern “phenomena,” if you will, as the table has turned in some ways. We now have our students knowing more than we do in this dynamic era in education; more often than not students now know more than us in the fast paced world of technology. I think the potential for us to dismiss their “technological savvy” would be all too easy, we could tell them to “quiet down” and just listen to us (since we are teachers) but now we must absolutely have to listen to them and hear what they have to say. The table has turned and we must be open to this notion of having a dialogue that allows us to show our sense of humility.

Katie said...

I hate and love technology. I hate having to learn new sites in the middle of a semester with a thousand other things on my mind. Give me time and I can do it. From comments from some of my peers, and myself, it can be hard to keep track of it all. How many different places do we need to be one to communicate our thoughts. It would be nice to have a central location that is used for everything.
This is where I think the problem can begain. If we are asking our students, especially in high school, to participate in a blog, what one do we chose. How do we ensure that other teachers are not going to get them to go to another location. Asking students to create a new account for a single semester, like high school, is alot to ask and is tough to remember (personal experience talking). Perhaps having a blogging option on your class website, which is accessible to parents, might be a more feasible option. These sites are also open to administration this might help to disuade students from making inappropraite comments.
I, like Martin, have learned about technology from my students. It was wonderful, and really neat! I had no idea it could be that easy and the class felt good about it.
I used to teach ESL before I moved here. I was working with a family. There son was having a tough time in English, specifically writing (go figure). I suggested he bring his personal laptop to school or even bring the writing home and do it on his computer. His teacher would not allow this saying that he needed to learn how to write and spell without help from a computer. This is silly. We should be setting everyone up for success and allowing them to use whatever tools they need. I think that if we approach technology in a way that promotes education then we are definetly heading in the right direction.