Monday, March 22, 2010

Picturebook content raises questions?

After reviewing several picture books this semester, I am convinced that they are not being used to their full potential in the schools. Isolating picture books to elementary grades or using them in the high school language arts classes only, disregards their potential for learning in other curricular areas. I plan on using them as much as I can but I'm sensing resistance to the idea in the schools. What's your experience?

1 comment:

Carlo said...

I agree, Julia. I think that picture books and poetry and all sorts of text/literature types have a place in different classrooms (like senior science, math, PE, etc.) than they would "normally" be used in. Picture books and poetry and movies, etc. etc. are such amazing tools to provoke critical thinking which is what we are really trying to get so many more of our students doing!

People and systems resist change and new things all the time, and the only reason we even have to deal with this "resistance" or feel bothered by it, I think, is because we are pre-service teachers. Once we're working and have our own classrooms, we'll be much more free to try new things and test strategies beyond the banal and norm. I don't know, Julia, sometimes a little anxiety and resistance is a good thing! I know you'd agree with that. :)