Thursday, March 18, 2010

A picture is worth a thousand words



Okay so more about media and literacy...I found this picture and thought it was pretty neat. It reminded me that media is just a bunch of words and terms, which turn into pictures and opinions and stereotypes and the list keeps unraveling. I have learnt through my planning for literacy at my practicum school that you need to keep students interested in what they want. If it means that I am teaching media studies for my three week practicum in literacy class; so be it. I think I am going to ask students to create a similar picture (in words) about what media means to them. Does anyone else have other ideas of what you could do with this picture?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I really like that picture. The style of it is more appealing then a basic list of words. It also shows the inter-connection of all these words. I think you could possibly use this picture as a topic for a journal entry, or entries. You're getting students to write, and connect to their beliefs around their world, and how they feel about this image. What they think it represents.

Students could also look at an aspect of it, or a couple of the words. They could discuss how they think they connect, and where they see them and how they feel about them in the media, or in their lives. Students don't have to just show this in writing either, but in an alternative text, like a website, video, scrapbook.

I also like your idea of students making their own one of these. It gets students to connect to the task, and really think about what they think, and how they feel. Even just a dicussion around this image would probably be well worth the time.

There's probably a lot more you could do with this image, I'm just blanking right now. I think it would make a good poster though!

ashbe said...

Thanks for sharing Sarah! I agree, it would make a good poster eh?!

mtn man said...

Having students create these types of media also provides students with an activity to make connections with background knowledge (Learn). They can start with what ever topic but then they have to think about the connections, make the connections, and find the inter-related connections amongst everything else. It’s a great activity to spur depth of knowledge on any given topic. :)