I was just "reflecting" (I know, I know!) back on the courses that we've had so far on language and literacy in the classroom and realizing that almost NONE of the methodology or instruction for the primary and elementary years really focuses on the use of technology integrated into the curriculum.
I wonder what we think about the fact that it is only in our high school methods course that we have really started looking at the use of linking technology such as blogging, alternative texts, websites, etc. into how we can communicate with our students. What about the students in the primary and elementary grades that don't have the same resources at home as other students?
This YouTube clip about Literacy Centers in an elementary class has absolutely NO technology incorporated into it, and I'm wondering, can we do more for our students by exposing them to the use of computers and other options at a younger age. Even video games in class...heaven forbid!!
2 comments:
Another awesome question! You're really knocking them out of the park ;)
In my past two elementary experiences, I saw 0 technology - with the exception of 1 video and 1 over head, over two years. I wonder why we seem to assume that younger children won't benefit from technology as much as older ones? Maybe we think the younger ones won't be able to understand? I wonder if there's any truth in that? It would be interesting to try to incorporate more (if possible) into our six week practicum in the fall...
I didn't see much use of technology the past few years either- my grade 6 placement used overheads sometimes, my grade 2 class used nothing! I thought that the learning environments were still very effective, but I think that incorporation of technology could have made them even more rich. This year, one of my sponsors uses technology quite frequently, but my other does not. I feel a bit awkward about bringing in technology into the class that doesn't use it, as I don't want the teacher to feel like I am changing the structure of the class too much.
I think that technology is absolutely crucial for high school classrooms, especially with the longer blocks. I am very happy that we are learning different methods for technology to support this; it is especially relevant for me since I want to teach high school. However, I do see immense value of technology for elementary students. Children will likely continue to be much more familiar with technology, and there is no reason why this shouldn't be supported in the classroom. Certainly, these forms of technology will look a bit different from what is happening in high school, but it can definitely be adapted to the younger grades!
Post a Comment