In one of the alternative text lessons one group used a graphic novel (The invention of Hugo Cabret) and it got me to thinking about the use of graphic novels in the classroom. Graphic novels were not something I was really aware of until the past couple of years during practicum when I saw students reading them, now I seem to notice them everywhere. When I think about reading I think about words written on a page and structured together in a traditional sense so I began wondering whether these types of text were useful to students literacy and how they could actually fit into a class. I found one site that even though bried changed my thoughts and opinions on graphic novels. The author states that "Contrary to this trend to promote graphic novels as “simpler” texts for struggling readers, graphic novels actually require different and possibly even more complex reading skills than traditional print texts". She states that readers have to have an understanding of print text, expressions, visual cues, and media techniques used for different effects. I've always been an avid reader and have had no difficulty in creating the images from the story in my mind, however, just this past weekend I was discussing with a friend that she was never really "good" at reading novels because she can't visualize what is happening in a story (her words were "Harry Potter? Ya couldn't figure that sh*t out till I saw the movie, then it all made sense!"). I've never had this problem so I never thought about how those students might struggle! I am curious as to whether I would be as successful at reading a graphic novel or if I would gather the same amount of enjoyment from them as I do a regular novel.
The link to the site about graphic novels was:
faculty.uoit.ca/hughes/Contexts/MultipleLiteracies.html
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
At WestCAST I participated in a workshop about graphic novels and critical thinking. The presenter used three graphic novels, 'Che' by Spain Rodriguez, 'King' by Ho Che Anderson and 'Louis Riel' by Chester Brown, to promote critical thinking and provide another avenue for teaching about historical events. In the activity during the workshop, we worked in small groups with photocopies of pages from the graphic novels. Each small group had photocopies from just one of the graphic novels; they were not mixed. We took about 60 seconds to look at a page and record one descriptive observation on a piece of note paper (not analytical - we were just to record what we SAW). We would then pass our page on to the person beside us and do the same with a new page. After we had looked at all of the pages, we discussed our observations and worked together to decide on themes, similarities and messages. At this point we were allowed to analyze and make inferences. We then presented one page to the rest of the class, discussing our themes.
We stopped there but from this point students could compare the story depicted in the graphic novel to other sources on the same topic, as one example.
The presenter encouraged us to use graphic novels because they allow students to connect to history and historical icons through images and limited text rather than traditional text books. In the above activity, students are required to critically engage by observing and then analyzing images and limited text.
I think this connects to what Ashleigh posted because it helps students who have trouble visualizing setting, characters and relationships by providing black and white images and conversations to teach the events.
Graphic novels have a definant appeal of interst for me. I feel the same as Ashleigh, in the sense that I have always been able to visually picture images in my mind described in traditional text. Graphic novels work the opposite. In relation to students who may struggle to visualize images explained in words, graphic novels would definantley help...I have never thought of this before. The novels display maeaning with images and students must describe these images. I also feel struggling writers would benefit greatly with this visual base. Hmmmm...I am beginning to want to bring in a lesson on a graphic novel.... The critical thinking activites Sam described also sound fabulous! In the future, I would surely use graphic novels as a text of study, for the main reason of supporting a diversity of learners, but also because my artist self is drawn to visual representations!
As a child I read and read and read. I remember going on weekly visits to the town library and renting out stacks of novels: The Babysitter's Club, Goosebumps, Sweet Valley High, Fear Street, and etc. I was and am an avid reader who has no problem visualizing a novel, connecting the words on the page to the images in my head.
I think graphic novels are a great resource for struggling and strong readers. The visual cues will scaffold students who are weaker readers by providing visual cues for comprehension. Furthermore, as reading enthusiasm varies, pictures are a sure-fire way to encourage all students to read! Graphic novels will also benefit strong readers as well. The pictures are rich with detail and require thought in order and sequencing. Strong readers can identify the tiny details included, the links between pictures, and the story that these pictures are telling.
Graphic novels require students of all learning and reading levels to actively read and think critically!
I think the critical thinking part that you all have brought up is a really key part that I never really thought about. With traditional text the reader finds themselves getting lost in this world and then, in a classroom setting, is faced with questions. Graphic novels I think would make you ask the important questions in order to figure out what is going on in the story, on your own without the teacher giving you a sheet! This is really neat!
Post a Comment