Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Flat Stanley

Hey all... I came across this link, which i will post on the bottom of this post... but it`s about FLAT STANLEY.. now FLAT STANLEY is a children`s book by Jeff Brown, this is a snip it of what critics say the book is about- ``a boy who becomes flat after a bulletin board falls on him. He becomes a half an inch thick and goes on all kinds of explorations, and hes creative... he can slide under doors, travel by envelope instead of by a plane, be a kite... and him and his family accept that and make the best of it all!..... BUT the neat thing about this is the book provides ideas for several projects``... and one of them alot of schools have been taking part in... and this is so neat.. I quote:

``the students compose a letter asking friends and/or relatives to let Stanley “visit” for the next month (or whatever length of time you choose) and to return him at the end of that time with descriptions and pictures (preferably including him) of the places he visited and experiences he had. A brief questionnaire could be included to help the “hosts” provide information of interest to your students. Be sure to include information about how and when to return Stanley. Then help students address and send Stanley with all the necessary enclosures on his adventurous trip.``

I think this is so neat.. and is great experience to bring into the classroom...
anyways these are the links to two sites that have info about it...

http://www.iched.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=iched&item_id=flat_stanley


http://www.flatstanleyproject.com/

one lady says ``Flat Stanley includes many opportunites to discuss with pre-schoolers what is real and what has to be make-believe. Could a child really become flat? Would others accept him if he was different? Can a child, or anything alive, go through the regular mail and live?`` —LynĂ©e Ward

Enjoy!
Alicia

2 comments:

crashleigh said...

My grade 1/2's did this last year and they had a blast! The teacher had been reading them Flat Stanley and when they were finished they did this project. My teacher's were worried about time and such with the postal services so they kept the project to Canadian friends and family (a couple exceptions were made for places like Australia and the States when some parents talked with them). It was really neat because the amount of effort and involvement put in by the parents and the students families was amazing, it was really a unifying project! One recipient made an actual book out of Stanley's visit, others made clothes, took pictures of them around their town with landmarks, went to hockey games, etc. The different places and stories were really entertaining. The students then got the chance to stand up and present their Flat Stanley adventures to the class as they were returned. The students were really into this project and it ties in with so many subjects!!!

Alicia said...

I really like this idea... I can't wait to have my own classroom and one day try this! I think it is AWESOME.... hopefully it will still be around by then and not be extinct before I have a full time position... LOL.. as it would be very difficult to try as a substitute or a student teacher... but like I said I really love this! it's neat in so many ways. I am so glad you got to see this in action :)