Great video, Sarah! I've played videogames like the one she's talking about (MMOs) and they are incredibly fun. Interesting to think that the skills you gain in playing those games could possibly influence your real life. I'm definitely thinking about whether or not that has happened already in my own life.
Regardless if we can transfer those skills or not, I think it's hugely important to note how much time (10,000 hours) that youth are putting in to videogames. I think it's more beneficial to think about how we can use that knowledge to our advantage, rather than just frowning or critisizing it because it's definitely not going to change!
Wow... that was a really incredible lecture she gave! I love watching well researched and charismatically presented talks like that. Thanks for sharing Sarah!
I really hope what she's saying is true, the vast majority of what she said really resonated with me, that's for sure. And this is coming from someone who has been a staunch opponent of video games in favour of spending more time in nature and interacting with the natural environment. I do realize, however, that time enough can be made for both.
I still do wish there was some emphasis on developing our relationship with the real world, both cultural and natural. I have serious concerns about the ability of chronic gamers to develop a caring relationship with the real world if they are holed up in their rooms playing games in virtual worlds for vast amounts of time. I could be wrong, but I have yet to see much research done on this subject.
How to include pictures - our blog simplifies these steps but this video should help anyway. How to add a link - this is so you can post cool links for the rest of us to check out : ) (there is no sound...but helpful nonetheless)
This is exactly as I would have shown you, but please ask me before or after class if you have more questions! Blog away~
Playing in the water
Things are not always as they appear
If you want to tell the untold stories, if you want to give voice to the voiceless, you've got to find a language. ~ Salman Rushdie
The genius of democracies is seen not only in the great number of new words introduced but even more in the new ideas they express. ~Alexis de Tocqueville
2 comments:
Great video, Sarah! I've played videogames like the one she's talking about (MMOs) and they are incredibly fun. Interesting to think that the skills you gain in playing those games could possibly influence your real life. I'm definitely thinking about whether or not that has happened already in my own life.
Regardless if we can transfer those skills or not, I think it's hugely important to note how much time (10,000 hours) that youth are putting in to videogames. I think it's more beneficial to think about how we can use that knowledge to our advantage, rather than just frowning or critisizing it because it's definitely not going to change!
Wow... that was a really incredible lecture she gave! I love watching well researched and charismatically presented talks like that. Thanks for sharing Sarah!
I really hope what she's saying is true, the vast majority of what she said really resonated with me, that's for sure. And this is coming from someone who has been a staunch opponent of video games in favour of spending more time in nature and interacting with the natural environment. I do realize, however, that time enough can be made for both.
I still do wish there was some emphasis on developing our relationship with the real world, both cultural and natural. I have serious concerns about the ability of chronic gamers to develop a caring relationship with the real world if they are holed up in their rooms playing games in virtual worlds for vast amounts of time. I could be wrong, but I have yet to see much research done on this subject.
Post a Comment