Sunday, March 7, 2010

Just Relax









After having completed my inquiry for EDTE 528/529, I thought I’d get your perspective of my research topic. My inquiry question was “will implementing relaxation strategies improve student receptivity to learning?” With my grade 8 social studies class I used the strategy of closing one’s eyes for several minutes while thinking of your favourite place to spend time. I personally find going for a long-run prior to starting my day puts me in a frame-of-mind where I am more open to new information (LISTENING), as well as allowing me to be a bit more creative. I cannot unequivocally prove this to you but I know that when I don’t go out for my morning run I don’t feel quite as engaged as when I do. My question to you is, “do you have a relaxation strategy you practice on a daily basis or on occasion which puts you in a more receptive frame-of-mind for learning?”

9 comments:

kraft dinner said...

Hey good Q peter! Thats a hard one because lately I have had no effort for routines. Especially waking up early for exercise, I know I feel so much better after a morning run, but sometimes I just don't wanna. but for me an active lifestyle is that relax. I have to get out enjoy nature. So I think the most relaxing strategie is going on a hike and then marvelling in the beauty of nature and the journey itself. After an experience like that I always feel ready for more of life. Even if it is learning. I think thats a great idea to find these strategies, especially for our students who don't always have that receptive frame-of-mind for learning. it is important for them to identify what works or what doesn't and they may be more engaged if they discovered these things out about themselves.

Peter Wong said...

Thanks K.D. This post is not meant to dredge-up guilt. You summed it up perfectly, as we all have that way to bring about a relaxed state in different ways. But one thing that we all have in common is that ability to achieve that serenity within us- no matter how we reach it. As for our students, maybe we can share with them some of the most recent research done on the topic. I was able to share with them one strategy of closing their eyes for several minutes and to think of a peaceful place. She later commented that she had never practiced a relaxation strategy before and that she enjoyed the process. But you're right, they have to find out what works for them. -peter

Anonymous said...

Relaxing. I didnt know we had time to do this in the ed program. Seriously though I find just having a balance in my life keeps me relaxed. I try to get in some leisure activities every day to relax. If i spend 4 hours doing homework fine as long as i get in some other stuff too. I find exercise and gaming are my leisure activities. Like you peter i do find running sets me up for a good day. Wapes me up and gives me focus. ALso, it allows me to move after sitting in fron of the computer for 3 hours of homework. Gaming i find is me just having fun. Playing a game of NHL 10 is a great way to take a break. Personally i don't ever get too stressed. I suppose it's because i'm a pretty relaxed person to begin with. But i do find doing other activities besides school is important too.

Leanna said...

It's strange how quickly relaxation can get overlooked or undervalued. So many of us are overstimulated, overworked, overstressed that finding that inner calmness for more than a few minutes at a time is challenging.

I might have students interview people they know about how others find ways to relax and what relaxation means to them.

For me - I get anxious when it's time to sleep - I'm afraid I'll miss out on something or forget something...so I've been practicing remembering that if something is really important it will make it's way back into my field of vision, and if it's not meant to be, then I didn't waste any energy on it. Not very profound - but it makes a huge difference in helping me find my inner calmness ; ) Thanks for the question Peter!

Laura B. said...

Peter - I'm so glad that you decided to go with this inquiry topic and I'm sorry that I wasn't in your group to see your end results! Very cool, though! How neat would it be to encourage relaxation strategies in your own classroom one day?

My superviser this year suggested an activity called "Capture the Calm" where students sit quietly and draw, read, or catch up on missed work. They can do anything as long as it's somewhat productive.. and it's time to just be quiet and relax. I think it's a good idea, especially cosidering how hectic and busy a classroom can be!

Anonymous said...

Awesome inquiry topic Peter! I agree that starting the day with exercise is a great way to get motivated for the day ahead; however, I find it very difficult to wake up early enough to get that accomplished! I nearly always choose extra sleep over getting up early to go for a walk. On my days that I don't have school or work, I am usually able to go for a walk before I get started on homework or any other chores, which I find really helpful to get me focused for the day. I do enjoy going for walks and runs with others, but I really value the time that I have on a walk by myself to gather my thoughts. It is rare for me to sit in solitude without being on my computer, phone, or have books in front of me, so that time to reflect and get the added bonus of exercise is really effective for me!
My mom was a teacher for over 30 years and I know that she would teach deep breathing to her primary students at the beginning of the year. This was then something that she could get them to do if the class was very wound up, or if a student was stressed out or worried about something. She taught it to me as well from a young age and I admittedly would roll my eyes at it quite often, although I do find the strategy useful, especially if I am having trouble falling asleep. The ability to calm down very quickly from a few deep breaths would certainly be a benefit in a classroom, and I would think it would be very effective particularly with younger students.

Peter Wong said...

Awesome. I've noticed the recent posts include a lot of references to Nature and the pleasure found in it. Is there anyone who practices a relaxation strategy in the confines of their i.e. basement, living room or kitchen?

Laura D. I was going to introduce a deep breathing technique with the students but I ran out of time.

Alicia said...

I have to find time in my day to relax.. if not I find my mind wandering at bedtime and I have to get up and walk around the house a few times... its a strange feeling but it;s something I think as teachers we need to know how to do... and if we find that time/what works for us then it is easier to practice this with our students... and they may feel results too! I know that for me I need to walk the dog, and/or head to the gym.. it gives me my second wind and makes me feel like not only did i accomplish something good for my body but for my mind too!
I think that relaxation techniques really help us find our inner selves and this in turn makes learning more worthwhile, as we are learning about ourselves as well and can be more relaxed to tackle the next task!

- panddisme - said...

I've been trying to do yoga every night, just to a video at home, and I always make sure to to the relaxation session of meditation and deep breathing after. I love the calmness I feel at the end of a good yoga session.

Yoga is also something I brought into my grade 3 classroom last year and did with my students as part of their DPA. I found that doing this before a more complicated lesson or when they needed an opportunity to just calm down (which was pretty frequent!), was very effective.