Monday, February 1, 2010

Literary Challenges

Just wanted to share this neat website I ran across and I hoped that maybe you all might also post other related websites to build upon what we are coming across in our course. Here's one that connected for me.

http://stilllife365.blogspot.com/2010/01/community-poem-i-one-word.html

It looks like its a support group for parents who have lost a child in still birth. It looks like the author posts literary and visual challenges each month on the right hand side of the page and the online community participates... Check out February's challenge - writing a recipe card for how to get through the day (after loss).

The other one that caught my eye is the poem on the main page. A "One word" collaborative poem. The directions are at the bottom - but imagine having your students work together to create their own one word community poem. neat stuff! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is definitely a very powerful website. Really shows how writing can be such a huge part of the grieving and healing process.
On a different topic, I found a neat website that provides information for teachers about children's literature. I've always loved children's and young adult books- when my mom was teaching she would often give me a variety to read to see if they would be good for her classroom. This website,
www.carolhurst.com,
has reviews for many books that can be used in the classroom, suggestions for subject areas which they can be used for, information about authors, and a ton of links, including lesson plan ideas. I think this could be a really valuable resource to use, whether it's regarding how a particular story could be incorporated into a classroom, or to look for book ideas that could tie in to a lesson or theme.