Saturday, February 13, 2010

Just a Little Something...

This is something that I came across while looking for articles for the censorship assignment. It was part of a Course Syllabus for a course entitled: The Experience of Young Adult Literature --Celebrating Multicultural Difference and Diversity. The first two pages were filled with little quotes about, well about everything, life, education, personal growth, children...you name it and it was some how connected to what we are journeying to become...teachers/educators/facilitator's... Anyways, I am rambling. Needless to say, I've been meaning to post this for a few days actually. But I'm sure you all know how it is...


Each second we live is a new and
unique moment of the universe, a moment
that will never be again. . . . And what do we teach
our children? We teach them that two and two
make four, and that Paris is the capital of France.
When will we also teach them what they are?
We should say to each of them: Do you know
what you are? You are marvel. You are unique.
In all the years that have passed, there has never
been another child like you. And look at your body--
what a wonder it is! Your legs, your arms, your
clever fingers, the way you move. You may become
a Shakespeare, a Michelangelo, a Beethoven.
You have the capacity for anything. Yes, you are
a marvel. And when you grow up, can you then
harm another who is, like you, a marvel?
You must cherish one another. You must
work--we must all work-- to make
the world worthy of its children.
~Pablo Casals~

3 comments:

LindsayGuest said...

I really really like this!!
It reminds me very much of the video we watched in Paige's assessment class by Sir Ken Robinson about fostering creativity! Thanks for sharing this!

kraft dinner said...

I totally agree thats a pretty amazing poem/statement or whatever it was pretty amazng. It make me think of my Phed classes and learning about the human body how it reacts to food, exercise, impulses and everything all at a cellular level and with so much amazing things tht occur in our different cells. We eat and we digest carbs to single glucose, prtiens to indivdual amino acids, and triglycerides into single fatty acids and monoglycerides. and how its is all done while we go about our daily lives and how these fuel our bodies, build tissues, and you can go on. Our bodies are AMAZING! and we are all the same inside. I journaled about this subject how we are all the same but differnt. I think that it comes down to compassion (the dali lama my agree too ;) ). without compassion we can do harm. But if we took a moment to think about others how they are, who they are and their experiences then yeah how can we do harm to others. I could go on but I'll stop there. Thanks for posting this.

Alicia said...

I took a liking to this! it really gave me goosebumps!! and reminded me of the poem if child lives with..and it lists all the aspects of things in a childs life like " if a child lives with criticicsm they learn to condemn" it goes like this:
If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.

By: Dorothy Law Nolte

I think about this each time I am teaching a lesson, or watch children interact with one another. I have no idea why... it just makes sense to me... and after reading this poem I feel they are similar in that, it matches what Kelly said about if we take a moment to think about others and how they are, who they are, and thier experiences.. then how can we do harm to each other?

great post!!!