One of the biggest thing I've noticed this year at my practicum, is that students are regularly off-task and disruptive. They call out without using their hand, they talk when the teacher is talking (and when their peers are talking), they throw paper, they balance pencils on their faces (okay..maybe this is just my experience) and so on and so on.
Since we are only there once/week, for an hour with each class, setting up routines and expectations and a "caring classroom environment" is basically out of the picture on our weekly visits. Besides the usuals (wait time, using "the look", using student names)...what other strategies could we be using to encourage our students to be on-task? What does your sponsor teacher do that works? What have you noticed that maybe doesn't work as well as you thought it would, or has worked in the past but doesn't with this age group?
16 comments:
I am in three grade eight classes and they do get rowdy, especailly last block. LOL. My art teacher has set out expectations on a sheet. Every time a student behaves inappropriatley he calls the student over and asks where on this sheet is this appropriate. This strategy seems to work for him. He dosen't yell or become cross he simply asks the student. Highschool students know their behavior is inappropriate. I also noticed that in my last block of the day, my sponsor voices her feelings and concerns about their behavior. She is really honest with them and they seem to respond. I think the biggest management strategy, especially with the older students is for them to like and repect you. If you form a relationship with the students they seem to listen and respond better during lessons. For me, if I notice a student who may be a potential management challenge, I learn their name right away and immediatley get to know this student. Also, I found that during my lessons, as I talk "proximity" really works. "Proximity" not in the sense of looking at the student and approaching them, but constant circulation of as much as the class as possible. Management is so challenging. I strongly believe the key is RELATIONSHIPs and back to Mary Abbot: "Form your allies"!
I am in grade 9, 10, and 11 English classes with two different sponsors. One of my sponsors has established very strict guidelines for the students on the first day. He alos LOADS the wok on them so that there is never any time they are out of work to do for his class. He also explains that EVERY assignment must be handed in for a grade in the class (from an assessment stand point, he only counts assessment of learning, but takes in everything to get students in the habit of completing all the work). He has a really good repor with the students so when they are misbehaving he using proximity or their names and they stop. It is a well established classroom.
My other sponsor does not set as strict of expectations but still has a well managed classroom. His most used strategy for off task behaviour is to tell the student that if they decide to not do the work in classtime right then, they could come in at lunch and complete the work then. Since noone wants to be in at lunch it works!
One teacher I observed used a bell in her classroom to get the students attention. It didnt go over so well as the students just looked at her then continued talking. I think that it is SO dependant on the specific class and the teacehrs expectations as to how the management techniques work.
I also have a challenging classroom environment in terms of off-task behaviour this year. I am now in a grade 11 English class, a grade 12 English class, and a grade 12 Communications class. Since this week was my first visit I had the students fill out a survey that I made up with questions about what they like and don't like about teachers/classroom rules/assignments, etc... At the beginning of the next class I have with them I am going to tell them what I noticed as standing out in their surveys and build my expectations for them from this. For example, 95% of the students wrote that they don't like lot's of homework (big surprise!) At the beginning of next class I am going to tell them that I won't be able to never assign them homework but I will do my best to give them lots of time to work on assignments in class... if however, I notice that they are off-task and not using the time wisely we will move on to something else and they will have homework. I think that if it were only one or two students being off-task I would ask them to stay in at lunch or after school to make up the time.
I don't know how this will work out but I will let you know... I need to practice being more firm and following through so I am hoping that establishing these expectations early on and basing them on what the students want will motivate them to keep on task!
I'm on the go and don't want to spend too much time on this post, but I notice that my grade 8s get quiet and listen well when I am telling a story or have some anecdote that is interesting and maybe relevant to them. It seems to be when I really get into something, then they wonder about it and want to find out what's so interesting... I strongly agree with what Lauren said about building good relationships and circulating too. Standing next to them, looking them in the eye smiling can serve as a good nudge to get on task. And if they have fun or interesting tasks to do, they are less like to distract with behaviour that is more interesting... I'm learning more and more about the importance of asking good questions in class too. Maybe it's relevant to interest and being on task, anyway here are a couple of great links to check out for guidance in asking questions:
(I originally got on the blog here to post these :)
This first one is an article on the art of questioning and talks about inquiry
http://www.exploratorium.edu/IFI/resources/workshops/artofquestioning.html
This second one is another chart of Bloom's Taxonomy questions starters
http://www.teachers.ash.org.au/researchskills/dalton.htm
Thanks for posting the topic of management. I could write/talk/type all day about it and I think it's great to share ideas on this somewhat new for us (high school) and challenging realm.
I love love love reading all of your comments and suggestions. This is such a complicated and important component of teaching that seems to really affect the learning environment. Keep the ideas coming!
In my high school practicum experience thus far I have noticed that my sponsor does not focus on classroom management strategies as much as my other sponsor's in the past have. My sponsor does the usual name calling, wait time, and the look which only really works 50 percent of the time. The one strategy that works 100 percent of the time for my sponsor teacher is creating student repertoire. As the students enter the classroom he asks them one by one how they are doing, what is new, and then he will usually bring up something that he knows about them (i.e. how was the soccer tournament on the weekend, how is your mom doing, etc.). When my sponsor teacher walks through the hallways he also speaks to students as they are making their way to other classes to see how they are doing. I know that we have been told time and time again that creating student repertoire is key to a successful classroom, but it was when I saw my sponsor teacher completing it that I realized how important it really is.
It is difficult coming in only once a week, but I think we have a good opportunity to start things out well, now that most of us have new students because of the semester switch. I am going to be teaching my first lessons this week, and I am going to tell the students that I have a couple of things I expect them to do when I am teaching. One is that when I am talking, they need to be listening, and also that if they cannot do this, I will move them to another desk so that they won't distract other students. We have all heard this before, but it is so important to set up expectations at the beginning of the year (or in this case, the term). I agree with Kelly that building relationships with students is one of the most effective management strategies, but students will try to push you to be as lenient as possible. At some point you have to be friendly but firm.
I don't know if Nick is going to write anything here, but he was telling me about how his sponsor teacher has the lesson topics for the week planned out, and he usually gives the lesson and then allows for some work time. If students are not using the work time well, he tells them that they must not need the time to work, and then goes into the next day's lesson. I think this could be a pretty effective technique.
The cartoon says it all: this is not in the teaching manual. We have not enough instruction or advice about classroom management in our coursework except for the one class in the first year (taught by Jan Iverson). And, even if we are learning about it in the program, it is still something that you can only really learn experientially. This is because every class is different, and what works for one group of students may not work for another.
I agree that the relational piece is so important for classroom management. If they respect you, they are more likely to respect you in return (although, as many have experienced, it sometimes doesn't matter how respectful to them, they are still going to disrupt and make it difficult for you).
Proximity works very well (as you others mentioned) and you often don't even have to say anything with this strategy.
These are some other ones I use: -moving students
- writing names on the board
- stopping the class, and being sincere and honest about how the disruptions make you feel as a teacher
- And, if necessary, sending students into the hall (although I never use this because it is a last resort action, and I don't feel right about making a student miss instruction)
- I am going to try doing some brain gym with the students if the class seems to be breaking-down with many disruptions. I am going to try playing 'Simon says' in this situation, for example. I think middle/higfh school students still have fun playing like games like this.
Anyway, none of these strategies are new to any of you. I think you just need to build a repetoire of techniques in your 'toolbox' and use the ones that are appropriate for the situation
/If they respect you\
- I meant to write: if you respect them
My sponsor teacher has a few different management techniques that may be helpful.(At least I had never seen them before!)
In the class he has two poster up - BOSAB which means Butt on Seat At Bell and BOSWIA - Butt on Seat While I am Away. Students were taught this at the beginning of the year and he often refers to these when it is not happening. He also has what he calls "Fun Files" for the students that show up late, talk to much, bring their cell phone to class etc, he makes them stay after the bell and write out a poem such as "The Road Not Taken." He believes that this helps remind them of what they had done wrong in the class and while similar to writing lines, it differs in that they are writing out a poem.
His signal to get the class to quiet down is "If someone beside you is talking it is wise to remind them to stop." He will say this in varying tones depending on the level of noise and the students are very tuned into this phrase and know that it is time to be quiet.
As others were saying, good teacher/student relationships are key and I see the importance of this in my practicum. It sure is difficult to take what we know about management from our primary and intermediate experience and translate it into something that works for middle or high school.
Wow! Interesting comments... sounds like a lot of you have some very dynamic and inspiring sponsor teachers.
I try to keep it really simple when it comes to managing students of any age. Consistency is key. Lay it on the table. "Hey, Jackie! Turn around one more time and you're sitting right up here beside me." Two minutes later when she turns around again, "Oooooh, Jackie! What did you just do?! Guess who's keeping Mr. Pavan company? Oh hey, and Alicia, your next!" Sometimes it feels a bit jerky... but man does it work! Set out the rule, give the warning/choice, and follow through on the consequence. Every time! No room for back talk... although, they ALWAYS retort, "But I wasn't even talking!!!"
This is, of course, easier said than done. It's tough being a stickler, but it pays off. And the kids respect you for it. I should also say, that this strategy would definitely not work with a student you know just isn't going to listen to you. Being 6'6" tends to reduce the number of students who are insubordinate when faced with direct orders, though. Maybe bring some stilts to practicum next week, Laura? j/k!!
Lauren's suggestion about proximity and circulating is one that I would also definitely recommend. I don't do it enough and it's a fantastic preventative tool.
Ha,ha. Stilts. Definitely the solution to all of my problems!!
I think the one thing that I have found that works for me is while teaching a lesson, find something that you can use as an example that all (or most) of the students can relate to. For example, one of my grade 10 Social Studies classes has a large group of soccer players in it so while teaching a lesson I will try and find a way to relate the content to the game of soccer. I remember when I was highschool, and even still, if I am not able to fully understand what is being taught or if I am not engaged than I will zone out and will partake in off-task behaviour.
i think two things are important here. 1. make clear expectations that are reinforced. students will push the boundries and as a teacher we need to reinforce them. set up your expectations of no talking ect. and stick to them. remember you can always loosen them as a term pregresses but you can't tighten them up. 2. positive reinforcement. reminders of behavior are sometimes needed. but positive it should be done positivly. this shows the students they are respected.
Great post Laura! It sounds like you have quite the "energetic" class--I have yet to see one of my students balance pencils on their faces!
Classroom management has been a concern for me this year, as it has been for the past years. Luckily, my sponsor, who has been working with Mary-Lynn, decided to use the 4C's with his classes this semester. Wow, the difference is like night to day! The classroom has been transformed into a learning environment. It's incredible.
That being said, you mentioned how it is hard to build a classroom community if you are only there once a week and I fully agree. I was hesitant to use "childish" classroom management techniques like "5,4,3...1" and clapping my hands. However, I do not have a loud voice and after feeling raspy after a few lessons I decided, what the heck, I'm going to go ahead and use them again. Lo and behold, they work. I still steer clear of "1,2,3, all eyes on me" and the clapping, but counting down, raising my hand, asking for eyes and ears STILL does the trick, and better than trying to project my voice to get their attention.
Use what strategy you feel comfortable with and what works for you. If you have the "teacher's voice," then make use of it! However, don't be afraid to use the techniques that we learned for elementary levels--they can still work :)
Great blog, I think the key to keeping some type of classroom management in high school is clearly implementing the guidelines and procedures. This needs to be done on the first day of a new semester. This really makes me sound like a hard ass by stating this point, but if anything I dislike rules with a passion. If you give me a rule there is chance that I will break it (I’m still a bit of a rebel). But, I have noted in my own limited experience when high school teachers are too liberal in their rules, you have a classroom out of control. This is such a hard thing that we have to deal with as being practicum students. We basically have to go with the way that the teacher has structure their classroom management, because of time restrains. I have observed with my own practicum teacher on the first day of the semester he laid out all the guidelines and continues to be persistent with these rules. For these reasons it is a pleasure to teach in his classrooms. Students want guideline and rules, because it gives them boundaries and makes them feel safe.
Post a Comment