Reading is often considered the KEY literacy.
Our experiences with reading will be varied. For this post I am interested in your most positive experience with reading. Whether that was when you first learned to read, a favourite book, a special place you like to read, etc. I encourage you to share why this story is important, or special, or stands out to you.
Please share the story or description under comments ~
(Image found: http://gaiafield1.ning.com/groups)

16 comments:
I remember when I was in Grade 2 I was at home with my parents and for "homework" we were supposed to read 30 minutes each night. Earlier that day I had taken out a book at the school library about snakes and the librarian recommended that I chose a book more appropriate for my reading level. Being stubborn and wanting to prove that I could do it, I refused. After dinner my parents told me it was time for my 30 minutes of reading so I took out my snake book. We sat down and I began reading it and although there were some words that I struggled with, I distinctly remember being surprised at how good I did. I was so happy that I could read that book after the librarian had doubted me that I took it to school the next day and read it to her just to show her that I could do it. The best part of it was that she apologized for underestimating my reading ability. To me, this was one of the most exciting and satisfying experiences I have had throughout school.
On monday Leanna expressed her love of Archie Comics when she was a child and it imediatly reminded me of my favourite memory of reading. I was a kid who LOVED to read since I was young. I would even memorize childrens books so I could pretend to read them before I was able to read. My most favourite thing to read, once I was able to, was Archie Comics. I would beg my mom and dad to buy me them at the grocery store and the book stores. I would fly through them and then read them over and over again. I would have rather read about Archies shananigans than watch a TV show by far. One day I did something that I likely should not have been doing and it led to my parents having to ground me. However they did not ground me from TV or playing with my friends- they ground me from reading Archie Comics. I was allowed to read other books but not my beloved comics. I laugh now at how much I loved those books and how reading them gave me so much enjoyment but then it was THE worst thing to ever happen to me!
My most "in awe" moment so far has been when interacting with two very bright kids in my life. Both boys (one lives in Edmonton, one in Vancouver) have been reading since they were 18 months - 2 years of age.
I will never forget giving Nathan an age appropriate play mobile airplane set for his second birthday where we watched him read the entire box top to bottom. He was absolutely amazing to see in action - especially when he'd go from wowing me with his reading to throwing a temper tantrum to get chocolate milk. haha :) Kids!
When I was younger I wasn't a big fan of reading. I'd rarely finish a book, and most of them held no interest for me, even if they were about subjects I liked. It was in grade seven that I really started to love reading. Though I hated the idea of reading the Harry Potter books (mainly because I don't like reading fad books), I finally decided to give them a try. I absolutely loved them, and after finishing the first three I started reading other books as well, like the Lord of the Rings series, and I gave school books a chance. The Outsiders is still one of my favourite books.
Reading those Harry Potter books really began my love for reading.
When I was 11 years old my mom gave me my very first Nancy Drew book and I fell in love with the series! I still have all 60 books lined up on my bookshelf at home. My mom used to get me to do chores around the house in order to "earn" the next book. I think I would have done anything to get them!
When I was in grade 6 or so, I joined this summer reading program. We were to take out books from the library, and record how many books we read over the summer and then we had a celebration at the end to talk about which books were our favourites, etc. This experience was probably the first time I really began to enjoy reading because I had the power to select my own reading material (not including Archie comics, which like Lindsay, are near and dear to my heart!)
I am starting to realize how much more willing I am to read a text or book that is interesting and relatively easy to read. Nothing is more frustrating than being forced to read something that I have no interest in, or is written so dryly that it makes me want to fall asleep! (Shleppengral, anyone?)
I always used to read books as a kid, Bernstien bears, little critter (I think thats the name)and ARCHIE! In kindergarten through grade 2 I think, there was a reading program at my school, where if you read a certain number of books you would collect stickers and then when you had a certain amount of stickers on your badge you would get a free pizza from Pizza hut. I remeber always going to Pizza hut with my dad and older sister. But we couldn't go unless we both had a full badge. Being the younger sister I didn't want her to be waiting for me and of course I wanted that pizza. In kindergarten I remember always grabbing a book from the shelf and signing it out to read at home. I can't remeber if I actually could read, I beleived and still do beleive I could read the Bernstein bears, although my aunt (who was my kindergarten teacher says I may not have been able to). I do know however that I really liked those pizzas and i remember eating a lot of them.
I remember reading an old book (1920s) called "Her Father's Daughter" (I wish I still had it) that taught me about life, study, being intimately and healthily connected with everything around oneself... I got lost in it, reflected on my own experience and took lessons and inspiration from it too. I've always loved reading books and things that feel relevant to my life right now. (I think that's why this story stands out for me) I love reading stories of honour and adventure. Meaningful, well written stories with depth where I can imagine myself there. I love finding stuff that I can soak up, that feels right. I wish it was easier to find...
The most positive experience? I can't be sure I haven't had more positive experiences while reading, but the one that comes to mind right now happened when I was in grade seven. I read this book called "My Blue Country". The only reason I picked it was because it had a really beautiful cover. Little did I know that there were a lot of life lessons hidden in its pages. That book taught me about religion, about relationships, about world cultures and travel. It was probably my first adult book, but I found it in the young adult section next to the Fear Street series (remember Fear Street, Goosebumps older sibling?). Being a curious only child with working parents I learned a lot from reading books. And I still do! I never seem to have enough shelf space for all my books, if only I had time to read them all!
My parents read to me very frequently as a child, which I believe was crucial in my development as a reader. I am a December baby, so when I went into Kindergarten I was one of the youngest students; however, I was able to read when many could not yet do so. I remember that the teacher would have different students sit up on a special chair and read aloud to the other students if they were able to do so. I guess that the first time I went up to read, the teacher asked me how I had learned. I responded that my mom and dad had read to me a lot "and then the magic starts." While I admittedly do not remember my saying this, my mom loves sharing this story and has reminded me of it on multiple occasions! I find it interesting to reflect on now- I love how a child can have such simple explanations!
I was one of those children who's parents had to tell them to STOP reading and go outside and play. I devoured books when I was younger.
Before I could read I had one book that I requested over and over to the point where my mom hid the book- and it disappeared. I have no idea what it is called... one day I will find another copy.
Grade 4 I discovered my all time favourite trilogy- the Lord of the Rings and proceeded to re-read them dozens (scores?) of time before eventually branching out in later years.
Last year, my practicum placement was in a first grade classroom. I was quickly given the "awesome" responsibility of two small reading groups, my own guided reading group as well as being allowed to bench mark (just once and it was SO hard, not exactly looking forward to doing that again anytime soon).
I was immediately touched by each and every student who I had the opportunity to listen to read. At that stage, they are so excited that they can read words! It is amazing. And when they come up to you and ask you...
"Mrs. K? Can you listen to me read next?"
It makes me smile!
Being with those readers from October until May, I was allowed to witness their growth and see their everyday excitement. There were no groans that it was silent reading. And even though I sometimes had to listen to six students consecutively read the same short story...their excitement was just a little bit contagious.
And I had to smile, when they had trouble sounding out a word, and they looked to the illustrations for hints! It was so magical to see how excited they got when they finally figured it out!
That kind of excitement never gets old!
I think that that is one of my most positive experiences with reading!
The school book that I remember the most throughout all my years of reading is, "Of Mice of Men". It was grade 10 and the first real novel that evoked such an emotional response. The story was so sad and was the first novel to make me cry. After watching the movie in class I began to realize that books are sooo much better than the movies. After realizing a passion for novels I started my first book that was not required reading by the teacher. The book was, "She's Come Undone", By Wally Lamb, since then I have craved reading books and always look forward to time spent reading.
I was a child who loved to read!! My mother couldn't keep me away from books. . When I was 2 I memorized a book about a train, the exact name I am not to sure... but my mother tells me the story of how I was so proud of myself for learning to read, and from that moment I would try to remember the book to pretend to read. Because then pretending was as good as really reading. I think thats where my love for books started. I was read to all the time as a child and would spend my birthday money on books, and exchange books with my friends. I hated MATH, I couldn't read a word problem properly, and I would become so frustarted becasue I knew i was a good reader. I still HATE math but I still LOVE to read!. . however, something that gets to me at times is the fact that I buy books and want to read them but I never make time anymore... I have a shelf full of books I want to read. If I was still a child they would be read because I couldn't wait and now they sit... but whenI start to read them I can't stop and will stay awake all night to finish them. Books are fabulous things and they provide so much... I think everyone needs to read to succeed... and books truly are a pathway to life.
As a child my parents always encouraged me to read. However, I never really has an interest in reading anything but picture books. When I got a little older my Dad was trying to encourage me to read more novel books. He would constantly put books in my room and they would just sit there. However, one day I picked up one and began to read an amazing adventure story about a hobbit named Bilbo Baggins. I loved the adventure and the fantasy. I imagined myseld whisked off to far away lands to battle dragons with knombes and gobblins. Once I was done I told my Dad about how much I enjoyed the book. He then told me that was only book one in a four book set and the I began to read the Lord of the Rings. TO this day I love them and still don't believe the movies live up to the books. They were the first novles I ever enjoyed.
I was always the shy quiet girl who just sat in the corner and read, but it had its advantages because I was ahead of my class in reading. Going through the grades I was always reading books that were at a higher level than the others, and I remember this one time in Grade 7 that has stuck with me. Every day at school we had to read for 30 minutes; we could either read books that we had gotten from the library or books that we had brought from home. Well one day while I was at home I noticed my mom was getting rid of some books and I was really intrigued by the cover of this one book. It didn't have a picture on the cover, instead it was holographic and sparkly. I thought it was the perfect book. I took it to school and began reading it, and out of no where my teacher calls me up to see her. She asks me," Courtney, do your parents know you're reading this book?" It turned out to be a harlequin romance novel, a real graphic one, but hey, at least I could read it!
Post a Comment