Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I ment two say sumthing importent...

So what about spelling, or grammar? How important is that to you? How precise should high school students be? For what purposes? Does texting and chat language concern you?



13 comments:

Chris said...

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people misspell or don't use the correct word (their, they're, there) when they are typing. I think it is very important to develop good grammar skills but it concerns me now to see how much people are using chat language and abbreviations. I've seen samples of student work where they actually use words like "gotta" and "cuz." This leaves me thinking, what can we do to prevent students from bringing this language into the class?

Erica said...

I agree Whis. Did I spell that correctly? I am a terrible speller (please see me for embarrassing details if you would like a laugh) and have been living with this problem all my life. I spend quite a lot of time looking over sentences before I publish them so that grammar and spelling are as correct as I can make them. I still make big mistakes. However, it is important to make sure students know the difference between correct/proper language versus "chat" or "text" talk. There is a time and place for everything, and educating them what is appropriate and when, will have to be integrated into our teaching practices.

Laura B. said...

Spelling errors will make me cringe at times...but we all make spelling mistakes. I agree with Erica. I think it really depends on the purpose of the writing assignment that the students are working on. If they are free writing, or writing their thoughts down or taking notes, etc (like 4 quadrant notes kind of thing), then I think it's okay to overlook spelling. But if it is a piece of work that is to be published somewhere, then spelling should be correct.

On day to day assignments, however, I'm not as sure. Students seem to make really simple spelling mistakes - and I'm not sure what to do about it. I wouldn't take marks off, but it would be nice to find some ways to encourage students to improve their spelling.

Anonymous said...

Well, I must admit I'm laughing after reading this post. On Weds morning, I went to practicum specifically to watch my grade 11 Finance kids present their powerpoints. (I normally visit Tuesdays). As the TOC was using a rubric to mark the students, I sat beside him and wrote on post it notes comments to the students... things like "Powerful voice, Good use of body language, Excellent rapport with your audience - You didn't just read off the screen - You spoke to them" etc...

And then I wrote "Great Pics"

hrmmm :) I wrote in my observation notes "Great Pics - Is that appropriate?"

I'm still working on that question.

Jessica said...

I am also awful when it comes to grammar and spelling. I write a lot of my notes and my draft assignments in my own version of short hand. Occasionally my short hand tends to take over in my assignments and I cannot always notice when I make these mistakes, as I have become so used to seeing that version.

I would like to say that in the students notes, journals, or their own writing that they should be able to write their own way, but I do worry that they will have the same issues as I have with my writing currently.

When do we draw the line with students form of writing with when its allowed and when we should correct for spelling and grammar?

"Jazzy" Phelps said...

I suppose it depends on context. For myself I've remained relatively strict when it comes to grammar and spelling. I missed the msn messenger of my peers in high school and I adamantly refused to adopt chatspeak. Even now with Facebook chat and Skype I maintain capitals and punctuation. (I type fast enough that people that people don't seem to mind.)

My emails and forum posts are the same way (and I appreciate forums that maintain a grammatical standard.)

However, my note taking is an atrocious mixture of half thoughts, symbols, and half words. (Imp= Imperial Fr= French, etc.) Its entire purpose is to record information fast that I can decode later.

Thus while I have my own standard and appreciate other people that have a similar standard, I don't really expect grammatically correct msn conversations. On the other hand, for good copy work in high school I would expect standard spelling and grammar.

Ashley F said...

This issue is also of concern to me. My biggest problem is that I have terrible grammar and to be completly truthful would not feel confident teaching a lesson on grammar, let alone nit picking over a students piece of work. I think the importance of learning and teaching grammar is quickly fading, thus we see the use of short form texting type language in the classroom. The question I have is how do we make grammar interesting enough to engage students in order to focus on working on these skills?

Anonymous said...

Spelling and Grammar is important to me as a techer but I wouldn't say it's a concern. I value speaking correctly and spelling correctly. However, there is a time and place to assess this as a teacher. If a students is just doing something in a rough draft I would not be strict on spelling and grammar. If it's a finsihed copy I would mark it more strictly. As far as abbreviations I would have the same standard. Ok in their notes but not in professional assignments. However, I would not completley fail a student if thier grammar was horrible. I would have spelling and grammar as a percentage and that would be it's weight for that particular assignment. I think that it is important and we shold stress that but not get too carried away.

Lauren Aebig said...

I feel that grammar and spelling are important in final drafts, because if students want to continue into post secondary education they must be able to meet the expectations of university standards. Even students whom do not enroll in university need to spell and use appropriate grammar for resumes and job interviews. However, I feel that students must not focus on the technical aspects of grammar and spelling in writing that is about their ideas and expressions of their learning. A lot of students seem to become stuck on spelling and grammar. I feel that students' ideas, thoughts and emotions are more important to explore because in this day and age, we have technology that can edit our papers for us. There is no technology that can develop our thoughts, change our perspectives,and express our emotions. For me, students have to understand that they must learn to edit properly for final drafts (writing to show leanring), but with writing to express ideas and thoughts, the focus should be on the ideas, not the mechanics (writing to learn).

Anonymous said...

Pursuing an English minor and being somewhat of an acclaimed perfectionist, I've always prided myself in good spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Indeed, it's become an inside joke with a couple of my friends about how much I correct their grammar and spelling.

So to answer this question, I would have to say that correct spelling and grammar are very important in school, especially at the secondary level where students are learning how to write essays and preparing for post secondary school. Fortunately, the use of technology is very advantageous (thanks to spellcheck) for those who may have problems with spelling.

I do, however, know that some of the best writing I've seen in my secondary classes are littered with spelling and grammatical errors. Thus, just because a student can't spell, doesn't mean he/she can't write. As educators, we can find common spelling or grammar errors made by students in our classrooms and conduct mini lessons in order to clarify these errors.

I have not seen the use of texting or chat language in secondary writing yet. Admittedly though, I am guilty of this "writing crime!" I've become an avid texter after the purchase of my BlackBerry and have caught myself typing "msg" and "gonna" during a couple of my school papers. I'm sure other fellow BB users could relate to this! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm having a bit of a battle with myself concerning grammar and students. This is one of my own weakest areas and I truly feel for students who struggle with the English language. So, my point is I feel as a future teacher that I will be quite lenient with student’s grammar. But, I do understand how important it is for students to be able to write at a proficient level. I will not tolerate text language, students still need to try and write full sentences. And, try to spell correctly. My biggest point is I want students to give a good effort, but I don’t want them to feel pressured by proper grammar (I’m just happy if they are writing).

Lisa Gray said...

I received this in an email several years ago and it seems kind of relevant to this conversation. It's interesting at the very least!

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Miss Jess said...

Lisa, I always get a kick out of reading that. Isn't the human brain an amazing piece of machinery?!