Sunday, December 6, 2009

Welcome!

Hello EDTE 520 teachers!

I am looking forward to engaging in class and online with you about issues related to language across the curriculum. As a beginning step to become aquainted with Blogger, I am hoping that you will each post a famous quotation about language (which includes: reading, writing, speaking, listening, viewing and representing) that means something to you.

Click on "Post a Comment" just down below here to enter your quotation.

I have posted a couple of mine on this site in the borders.
Thanks!
Leanna

23 comments:

Laura B. said...

“We read to know we are not alone.”

- C.S. Lewis


I love this quote - I think we also talk with others and share ideas for this purpose too.

Anonymous said...

“Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...”
-Lawrence Clark Powell

Isn't this what we want all our students to be able to do?

Lisa Gray said...

I have two...

"The most important thing in communication is hearing what isn't being said."
- Unknown

"It's not what you tell them… it's what they hear."
- Red Auerbach

angelique said...

Language is our soul. (Aunty Rose Fernando, Gamilaroi Elder, 1998)

and

"Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The two remind me that language is important and occurs in many forms...

angelique said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
angelique said...

Ooh! That deleted was me, I just wrote 'I really like those ones Lisa posted too!' and wanted to change my comment to something about really feeling the messages of those quotes. Thanks for posting those Lisa. And now we know what shows up if we delete our comments!

LindsayGuest said...

“To listen well, is as powerful a means of influence as to talk well, and is as essential to all true conversation”
-Chinese Proverb

something many people forget, or never learn to do properly!

Anonymous said...

Language is the means of getting an idea from my brain into yours without surgery. ~Mark Amidon

Words signify man's refusal to accept the world as it is. ~Walter Kaufmann

Miss Jess said...

If "A" equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. With X being work, Y play, and Z keeping your mouth shut.
- Albert Einstein

A wise old owl sat on an oak; The more he saw the less he spoke; The less he spoke the more he heard; Why aren't we like that wise old bird?
- Unknown


Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
- Shel Silverstein

Anna said...

"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean"

Robert Louis Stevenson

Brock said...

"Language. I loved it. And for a long time I would think of myself, of my whole body, as an ear."
- Maya Angelou


"For every man there is something in the vocabulary that would stick to him like a second skin. His enemies have only to find it."
- Ambrose Bierce
This quote reminds me of the tremendous power some words can have, and how they can trigger profound emotional responses.

"Jazzy" Phelps said...

"Whenever you read a good book, it's like the author is right there, in the room, talking to you, which is why I don't like to read good books."
Jack Handey

I always enjoy people that can find the absurd in the ordinary.

"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."
C. S. Lewis

To me this is rather important because often I think people try too hard to find their own style or originally. Whereas, I think if one focuses on communicating their ideas clearly style and originality will follow. I suppose it's a matter of focus.

kraft dinner said...

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
Robert McCloskey

and

“A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by acting.”
Henry David Thoreau

Samantha said...

"Language shapes the way we think and determines what we can think about."
Benjamin Lee Whorf

This quote reminds me of when I was in Québec and could not express myself fully because I didn't have the language to do so.

Ashley F said...

“No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.”

- Confucius

Courtney said...

English is a funny language; that explains why we park our car on the driveway and drive our car on the parkway.
~Author Unknown

"The word "good" has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man." ~G.K. Chesterton

Both of these quotes, I find, talk to the various ways we use language and words--how they can have different meanings in different contexts and send a different message between the varying perceptions of others.

Peter Wong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peter Wong said...

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.” -Alan Alexander Milne

Don't you wonder sometimes? I do. You know...anything is possible!

Anonymous said...

"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul" William Ernest Henley

Lauren Aebig said...

"A warm smile is the universal language of kindness."
William Arthur Ward

"Language is not only the vehicle of thought, it is a great and efficient instrument in thinking."

Humphrey Davy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

"We invent the world through language. The world occurs through language."

Mal Pancoast

Joanne said...

"What is wonderful about great literature is that it transforms the man who reads it towards the condition of the man who wrote." E.M. Forester

I like this quote because it reminds me of the power and ability we have as teachers to direct the learning and thoughts of our students; whatever we present and introduce to them will ultimately influence their lives and perspective of things. As an aside, I just wanted to share an exceptional experience I had last practicum. To supplement my gr.2 unit on community, at lunch time I read true stories about kids making a difference. One morning a student approach me to show me her posters she had made that said 'Help the Homeless’ and wanted me to photocopy them for her. She ended up putting them around the school and even posted them on telephone poles around the neighborhood. I could have read them their usual Sponge bob or Franklin storybooks; I am ever glad I didn’t!